Vacation Must-Haves Packing Guide
Posted on February 02 2017
With Spring on the horizon, we thought now would be the perfect time to put together a packing guide to cross-reference before your next big trip! We at Sea & Sand like to think of Spring vacations as a reset button. They’re a great way to take an escape from the usual day-to-day (and/or the cold) and indulge in the perfect getaway.
Finding that balance between relaxing and maintaining your lifestyle while you’re gone leaves a lot of room to pack, and not a lot of room for missing the mark! But what are the must-haves to make your trip the best one? We’ve got you covered!
First and foremost, we have to mention sun safety! We know you want to come back with that golden tan, but at what cost? It’s important to properly protect yourself from the sun and its harmful rays.
- Sunscreen – So important, pack this first, especially if you’re going somewhere tropical! We recommend anything with at least SPF 40 to provide you the protection you need.
- Hat – Whether its avant garde big hat/big sunglasses, or a laidback baseball cap with your home team, hats are definitely necessary to pack on any trip and provide you some shade while you’re soaking up the sun.
- Sunglasses – While they may seem obvious, they’re so easy to forget. Especially if you’re at the airport before the sun comes up! Dust off your best pair of sunnies and pack these first (or your best looking inexpensive pair if you’re prone to losing them like we are)!
Packing light is important, so the below is to encourage looking for pieces that can be transitional and that don’t take up a lot of room in your luggage. Less is always more!
- One Pieces – As your destination for One Pieces, this is obviously first on our style side of the list! Throwing on a maxi skirt over your one piece can take your look from the pool, to hiking on an island-side excursion. Want more coverage? Tankinis and Swimdresses are also great alternatives to flatter your shape and keep it simple.
- Coverups – Perfect for transitioning from the beach to the streets. Sometimes all you need is just one! Try to take a cute, lightweight dress or romper with you to throw on over your bathing suit for those quick back and forths to the Tiki Bar, or whatever else is on your agenda for your vacation!
- Beach Bag – The big tote is necessary for reaching maximum relaxation and making sure you have everything you need! Your beach carryall should have ample enough space to fit your magazines, tablets, etc.
- Crossbody Bag – For exploring! Instead of lugging around the big stuff, keep it chic and minimal. You’ll avoid yourself a whole lot of shoulder pain and hip leaning if you opt to pack a small crossbody bag for your vacation adventures. We never leave home without one!
- Maxi Dress – Casual, but versatile. The Maxi Dress is necessary on any resort vacation to take your outfit from day to night. It’s one of our favorite pieces (aside from swimwear of course!). Dress it down with a denim jacket during the day, or dress it up with a statement necklace for a beachside dinner that night. Easy and breezy just the way we like it.
- Dress Sandals – No one likes to be overdressed on vacation, and you may or may not be over your heels from the work week in your real life. We recommend packing your perfect pair of versatile dress sandals to keep your packing light, and to wear them the duration of your vacation. You’ll know the right ones when they can double as casual, but still dress your outfit up without trying too hard! Try to aim for some with accent details or gold hardware to give you that elevated look!
- Flip Flops – Lightweight rubber or leather flip flops (anything with some cushioning) are perfect for grab-and-go situations when you need to make quick switches around a pool area or beach. Definitely invest in a comfortable pair that aren’t too hard on your feet. You may be in these longer than you think, especially if you plan to play in the saltwater!
We live in a VERY connected world. Want to make memories that can last? There are so many fun new tech toys to bring with you that help you capture the real moments – and not just digitally!
- Portable Chargers – It’s easy to run low on battery between finding directions and looking up all there is to do in an area! Portable chargers , especially the chic tiny ones are the best. Just remember to charge them just like you would your phone!
- Photo Pocket Printer– Bonded with new lifelong friends on that cruise? Share a physical memento you can share. Pocket printers that connect with your smartphone (like the HP Sprocket), are small, lightweight, and come in handy to print out memories to share with anyone on your trip.
- Instant Cameras – These cute cameras are a fun way to instantly take and print your photos while on your trip. Great for the kids and yourself too, these are battery operated and no extra chargers needed!
So whether you’re setting sail or taking flight, this list will hopefully give you some inspo to get to packing! Or at least get started on planning that next vacation!
Shop our 2017 Swim Collection for the best looks, both poolside and beachside.